Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Russian MP3 Download Services

I have discovered on the internet some new online MP3 download stores. These are based in Russia and are very cheap for tracks and cd’s - about $0.20 a track and $2 an album, and have a wide ranging catalogue containing releases from most major recording artist. The site also contains hard to find releases from some artists along with bootlegs. You can also download from this site most of their files in the file format of your choice, such as MP3, MP4, WMA etc.

Many of the record industry bodies are saying this site is illegal, yet apparently under Russian law it is perfectly legal as long as the owners pay a percentage of the profit made per track / album to the Russian copyright federation (ROMS). I suspect that the record industry bodies don’t like the fact that a) the prices are cheap per track and b) that the record labels / artists are not making any money out of the site

I myself have not yet used this site, as I am unsure whether as a British Citizen I am able to do so legally under British law. Once I have an answer to this, and the answer says I am allowed to then I will start using this site to buy music online, and I will post my findings on my blog.

This site I hope will shake up music download services as I feel if they can charge $0.20 a track, then why do services such as iTunes have to charge £0.79 a track? I guess they are trying to make as much money as possible.

No comments: