Sunday, February 06, 2011

Mobile App Stores

Have been looking at mobile apps from some of the websites I visit, and find it really annoying that in almost 95% of the sites I visit, they have made an App for the iPhone but not for any other smartphone. I find this strange since Nokia, Blackberry and Android smartphones as I understand it have just as good a market share as the iPhone.

This led me to wondering whether big businesses who create apps for a particular smartphone should be expected to make an app for all major smartphones - perhaps smartphone operating systems developers could help get apps out from big business for their smartphones. I for one would like to be able to have a Starbucks and Thames Clippers app on my phone, but can't as I don't have an iPhone, only an Android, which doesn't have any of these apps. However I did mange to find an App for Subway stores, but that wasn't made by Subway - another Android software developer made it as Subway had only made an iPhone app.

I read somewhere that in the USA developers will be required to make their apps work on all the major smartphone brands, although I cannot find the page I read it on. However I think this is a good idea, as it means that no matter what smartphone you use, if a major business such as Starbucks has made an app for smartphones, it will work on ur phone.

No comments: