Friday, April 22, 2005

Dangerous Road Users

How I hate dangerous drivers. Only the other day, I was driving along, coming up to a junction where I had priority, and this double decker bus pulled out in front of me, causing me to brake hard. After breaking I sounded my horn so that I could make sure that he was aware that I was not best pleased with him.

I really hate drivers who think they can pull out in front of you, regardless of the fact it is illegal to do so. If I see a driver trying to pull out of a side road, or enter a roundablout to soon, I drive slowly past them, in order to teach them a lesson. Why do so many drivers have to be in a hurry, surely a few extra seconds waiting to safely pull out of a junction is sensible, rather than risk the chance of causing an accident. My understanding of the highway code when pulling out of a side road, is that you can only do so when it is safe, and when you are not going to force the traffic you are pulling out in front of to slow down.

Now I understand it that we have speed cameras on a section of the M4 in Wiltshire, to ensure that drivers do not break the speed limit. I'm in favour of this. I read a page giving peoples comments on this, and most said that the speed limit on a motorway is 70mph, therefore if you break the limit you should be done for speeding. The biggest problem with motorway driving and speeding is when you are overtaking at the speed limit on a dual carriageway or motorway, and you get someone come up behind you, going at 80mph+ and flashing their lights, who expects you to immediately get out of the way for them, not caring that you have the right to be in that lane.

I remember overtaking once on a 2 lane motorway, and a large 4x4 came up behind me, trying to get me out of his way. When it was safe for me to do so, and return to the left hand lane, he overtook me, with his left tyres in my lane, I guess trying to run me off the road, for delaying his trip. For him its a good job there where no police around, or he would have lost his licence for dangerous driving, as I had the right to pull out and overtake!

No comments: