Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Nokia E63 & MobileMe Ponderings




I have just purchased a new mobile phone, a Noika E63. This is a great smartphone, with standard mobile phone functions, as well as some funky features including WiFi, Qwerty keyboard, internet access, media player and a whole lot more.

It’s great being able to synchronise my data with my Mac via bluetooth, but while doing this I was thinking it would be great to be able to sync the phone withe my MobileMe account, without having to go via my Mac. I think Apple are missing a trick here, as being able to sync any mobile phone, that has calendar and contact facilities with MobileMe would be a good thing, however I suspect Apple have thought about this and decided not to do it, thus encouraging people to get an iPhone to use the MobileMe sync service. Thankfully Nokia have a service called Ovi, which is at http://www.ovi.com and does the same sort of thing with MobileMe, offering over the air sycnchronising of calendar and contact data with compatible Nokia phones, either via Wifi or mobile internet connection, as well as offering photo sharing, file storage and a free e-mail address.

I hope that in time Apple will add synchronising with other mobile devices to MobileMe so that those of us who don’t have an iPhone can still benefit from MobileMe on our smartphones.

No comments: