Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Firefox - the browser reloaded

Firefox - Rediscover the web

Wow - I just downloaded FireFox 1.0 web browser for Linux, and it was a doddle to install. I've been told that unless that unless the software was in RPM format it would be a pain to install. I would download an rpm file and get SuSE Linux to install it for me, as that is very easy. However the FireFox download was easy to install, I just had to click on the install file and up popped a Windows like install routine. Once I had told it where to install it and what to install, all I had to do was run the menu editor so I could add it to my KDE menu, and my quick launch icons on the start bar and I was away!

Congratulations to Mozilla for making an easy install process! I wish more developers of Linux packages would do the same, cause as a newbie to Penguin Power (Linux) I find it very hard to install programs as it is so complicated, and there is no guarantee that the install process will work, perhaps because files needed by that software are not installed etc. This is exactly what a Windows programmer (new to Linux) recently wrote to a Linux magazine - he said that he expected Linux software to run "out of the box" with an easy install process

Now I'm off to download Thunderbird 0.8 I hope that is as easy as FireFox!


No comments: