Monday, September 20, 2004

I hate some of my work colleagues

Some of the people I work with at work I don't particularly like, because even though they are getting the same rate of pay as me, think they are above me. I sometimes work on the cigarette Kiosk at the place I work, and one of my so called colleagues I work with on this Kiosk thinks that because I work on Checkouts, I am beneath him in the hierarchy tree, even though I am not. An example of this is that a few weeks ago I was working with him on the kiosk, and one of our bosses came to us and asked for one of us to go and take another colleague off of the checkout she was working on so she could go for her break, now rather than the two of us decide jointly which one of us was going to that checkout, he basically made it plain that I was going, and there was to be no argument, even though the boss had made it quite clear that we should decide between ourselves who should go , in other words because I worked on a checkout and he was primarily working on the kiosk. I had to go, no argument.

I believe that if a boss ask his employees to decide between them who should do as asked, it should be a joint decision, not one employee making that decision without involving the other, especially when both employees are on the same "hierarchy level" .

The way I would run this kiosk is different, I would ensure that all staff who work on there as there primary job role, are made aware of the fact that they are not "better" than checkout staff and that if they are working with someone from checkouts, and a boss asks for one of them to go to checkouts, they agree together who will go! I would also ensure that all trained kiosk staff, get at least 1hr a week on the kiosk

No comments: