Friday, September 03, 2004

Penguin Powered DVD

As you know, I have put SuSE Linux 9.1 on my PC. However out of the box it cannot play a DVD. The reasons for this, according to SuSE is copyright - apparently they dont want people to be able to "pirate" a DVD. I think this is totally stupid, after all a Windows PC can play a DVD, allbeit with playback software. I thought therefore, I should be able to find DVD playback software on the internet for Linux. Suprisingly I couldnt. It was only through reading an article in a Linux newsgroup that I was able to find out how to play DVD's in Linux, and this nessiciated downloading 4 software programs!!.

I think if I install an operating system, and have a DVD drive in my PC, I should be able to watch a DVD movie if I want to, and not get told that I cant because of copyright reasons, after all I am an average joe, and am not really interested in pirating a DVD.

Now I have DVD playback working in Linux, it is far better than within Windows, as there is no sound or picture jerkiness!

No comments: