Sunday, November 13, 2005

Opera Mini

Recently I have found a wonderful piece of software for my mobile phone. Made by Opera Software, the people behind the Opera web browser, they have released an internet browser for Java compatible mobile phones called Opera Mini. I have been trying this software package for a few days and I must say it is excellent. It allows you to surf the internet on your mobile phone, by using a special processing system to make the pages work on a small screen. I tested the browser with the BBC News page and my GMail account, and both pages worked well.

What I also like about the browser is that can also be used to access WAP pages as well (sometimes faster than your phones built in WAP browser), and you can store bookmarks, complete with bookmark icons, just like in PC browser such as Firefox and IE, so you don't have to type in where you want to go. If the web site supports cookies then you can store usernames and passwords, making access even quicker. When Opera Mini loads it comes up with a start page that can be customised with the addition of your favourite bookmarks.

Opera have created I believe an essential tool for mobile phones, and I believe that it should be included on all Java compatible mobile phones that are released in the future as it is a very good way of accessing the internet, and when it comes to having a 3G phone, it will become an essential piece of software, as full blown websites will be able to be seen on your phone, in a quick way, making access to webmail such as Hotmail or GMail a reality for many phone users.

If you would like to try Opera Mini, go to http://my.opera.com/community/ and follow the Opera Mini download instructions from there. You will need to download the software via your phone, rather than PC.

No comments: