Monday, January 16, 2006

MSN Messenger Problems

MSN Messenger is a great chat program, but just recently I had discovered that when you use it transfer files to someone on your contact list, Windows XP denies access to the file once it is downloaded if for example it is an MP'3 file. I'm annoyed by this, as normally I use Google Talk to chat over instant messaging and MSN Messenger to send files (Google Talk does not yet have file transfers built in to it's client) Microsoft's actions are unfair and disgusting as it is stopping users from sending legitimate files - Microsoft will probably say they are doing this for security reasons. If this continues then I'm going to have look at another way of sharing files with my friends over instant messaging, which will probably mean a switch to the open source system Jabber, since that does not block access to files.

Do you think Microsoft have the right to do this, or should we be able to share whatever files we like? Let me know what you think!

No comments: