Monday, January 02, 2006

Narrow Parking Spaces

Recently in a local underground car park, I had my car damaged, the parking spaces in this car park were too narrow to park safely in especially in a busy period, which it was when my car was damaged. Luckily the damage was not too bad, just a big dent in the rear left hand passenger door and some scratched paintwork, and i'm hoping the repair bill will not be too much, as the driver who caused the damage didn't leave his insurance details - something all too common these days as people don't want to loose their no claims bonus on their car insurance, so that they can keep their insurance cost down.

However my gripe is - that too many car parks these days are designed for getting the maximum number of spaces in, without thinking about how wide spaces should be in order for safe parking. There are a growing number of car parks in this country where I feel I have to try and find a part of the car park that is not so full, in order to park safely. Also I get annoyed when in a car park with tight spaces, I see idiots who have parked too close to one side of the space, making it harder for the empty space next to the them to be parked in correctly.

This reminds me of a another multi-story car park I have been in, all the spaces where on a slope, which was even worse for parking as the slope was at right angles to where you parked. It's time that designers of car parks designed them for safety as well as getting the most they can in the car park.

I guess I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, when I had my car damaged, however that's life and I have to hope that it won't be too much to repair, as I don't want to make a claim on my insurance as it is not my fault, and do not want a bigger bill just because of some other drivers stupidity.

No comments: